Graduate Program Overview
Dynamic, Creative, and Collaborative
Our program is large enough -- in terms of faculty, equipment, and research expenditures -- to support world class research in all areas of chemistry. And yet, at the same time, we are small enough to have a well-integrated department. Our researchers work collaboratively within research groups, across research groups, and even across departments to identify and solve diverse scientific challenges. The broad-based strength of the department combined with the dynamic, creative environment makes chemistry research at UB exciting -- because it is interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and collaborative. It is this unique combination of outstanding research, broad-based experiences, and a nurturing, supportive community that gives our students such a remarkable graduate school experience. Our students have everything they need -- a strong foundation in chemistry, guidance and mentoring from faculty, and impressive research experiences -- to become independent researchers able to compete for the most desirable jobs available in the chemical sciences.
The Department of Chemistry offers programs leading to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Chemistry and Medicinal Chemistry. The Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in Chemistry and Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Medicinal Chemistry are also offered in our department. The Ph.D. degrees and the M.S. in Medicinal Chemistry require original research and a successfully defended dissertation or thesis. The M.A. degree requires either a topical review of the chemical literature or original research with an accompanying thesis.
Recognized and Supportive
The Department of Chemistry is located within the Natural Sciences Complex, a modern $49 million building fully equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation and labs specifically designed to support high-end scientific research in chemistry. The value of the research in our department is well-recognized as evidenced by the research funding attracted to our department - our external research support totaled more than $8.5 million in 2007, an especially impressive figure given the size of our department. The research dollars per faculty member rivals that of the largest, most research-driven universities in the country.
Attracting the world's top graduate students is critical to keeping our department at the forefront of chemical research and education. Students accepted into either the Ph.D. program in Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry are generally fully supported as teaching assistants with full tuition scholarships and a competitive annual stipend. Factor in Buffalo's affordable cost of living and UB is a sound choice economically.
Committed to Students
As a graduate student at UB, you are a valued member of our research community. Our faculty work closely with our students -- most of the time on a daily basis -- and our research groups are conducive to individualized attention and guidance. Our flexible program gives students options -- we have many different programs with immediate synergism and overlap. Students are not restricted to one particular area of chemistry but are equipped to explore interesting problems that cross traditional disciplinary boundaries.
At UB, we interact socially with our students. We find that it fosters collaboration, helps us get to know one another, and is just plain fun. We host softball games and golf tournaments, and every Wednesday morning students and faculty get together to share information, collaborate on research challenges, and simply stay connected.
We have a nice mix within our department that also contributes to our collaborative, friendly community. The experience and leadership of seasoned faculty is complemented by the energy and enthusiasm of our newer faculty members. About 80 percent of our students come from undergraduate institutions within the U.S., while the other 20 percent bring chemistry experience from around the world.At UB's Department of Chemistry you will learn, teach, and collaborate. You will venture into the unknown and explore untested chemical hypotheses. You will become a part of our research community.